Alabama Medicare Supplements
Medicare Supplements, sometimes referred to as Medigap, pay health care costs that Medicare does not cover (deductibles, coinsurance, and co-payments).
Why Do You Need a Medicare Supplement
Medicare Part A has a deductible, coinsurance, and copayments that you are responsible for paying. Medicare Part A covers 60 days of Inpatient Hospital care, but you pay a deductible of $1,484. If you are in the hospital for more than 60 days, you will have to pay an expensive copay for days 61-90 ($371 per day). For days 91-150, the copay is $742 per day. If you are in the hospital for more than 150 days, your Hospital coverage under Medicare Part A runs out. Medicare Supplements will pay the Hospital deductible of $1484, the daily copays if you are in the hospital for more than 60 days and full coverage beyond 150 days.
Medicare Part B has an annual deductible of $203 (2021). Part B of Medicare only covers 80% of Medicare-approved amounts. Medicare Supplements cover the other 20%. If you don’t have a Medicare Supplement you will pay 20% for all of your Doctor visits, ER visits, blood tests, lab work, X-rays, and other costly diagnostic tests such as an MRI or CT scan. You will have to pay 20% for expensive treatments like chemotherapy, kidney dialysis, and durable medical equipment. Medicare does not put a cap on your out-of-pocket costs like your previous insurance plans. That is why it is essential to enroll in a Medicare Supplement to keep your cost low and predictable. Medical bills for severe and chronic illnesses can ruin you financially if you don’t have a Medicare Supplement. The money you have set aside for your retirement could quickly be wiped out.
With a Medicare Supplement, you have the freedom to go to any Doctor or Hospital in the United States that accepts Medicare patients. You can see specialists without a referral, and your coverage goes with you when you travel anywhere in the United States. Medicare Supplements do not cover outpatient prescription drugs, so you’ll need to enroll in a Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan. To apply for a Medicare Supplement, you must register for Medicare Part A and Part B.
Medicare Supplements: Plans F, G & N
Medicare Supplement Plan F You have No out-of-pocket cost for Medicare-approved services, whether it’s an Inpatient Hospital stay, Outpatient medical services and treatments, and Doctor office visits. Plan F pays all deductibles, coinsurance, and copayments that Medicare does not cover. Medicare Supplement Plan F will not be available to anyone enrolling in Medicare for the first time starting January 1, 2020. If you were eligible for Medicare before January 1, 2020, but delayed enrollment, you may still have the option to buy Plan F when you do choose to enroll. Before you enroll in a Plan F, compare the benefits and premium to a Plan G.
Medicare Supplement Plan G offers the most comprehensive coverage for both inpatient and outpatient medical services and treatments.
- With this Medicare Supplement, your cost is $0 for a Medicare-approved inpatient stay at a Hospital. There are no deductibles, copays, or coinsurance.
- For Doctor’s office visits and outpatient medical services and treatments, Plan G will cover all but the Medicare Part B deductible of $203. After the deductible is met, Medicare will cover 80% of your outpatient costs, and Plan G will cover the other 20%.
- You have the freedom to go to any Doctor or Hospital of your choice in the United States that accepts Medicare patients and can see specialists without a referral. You will be fully covered when traveling anywhere in the U.S. Before enrolling in Plan G, compare the benefits and premium to a Plan N.
Medicare Supplement Plan N If you are looking for a lower monthly premium, Medicare Supplement Plan N may be the right choice if you are comfortable paying a small copay for a Doctor’s office exam.
- With this Medicare Supplement, your cost is $0 for a Medicare-approved inpatient stay at a Hospital. Just like Plans F and G, there are no deductibles, copays, or coinsurance.
- For outpatient medical services and treatments, you are responsible for the Medicare Part B deductible of $203. In exchange for a lower monthly premium, Plan N has a small copay of $20 for a doctor’s office exam (primary care or specialist) and a $50 copay for an Emergency Room visit (no copay if admitted into the hospital from the E.R.). After the deductible is met, Medicare covers 80% of your outpatient costs, and Plan N will cover the other 20%.
- You have the freedom to go to any Doctor or Hospital of your choice in the United States that accepts Medicare patients and can see specialists without a referral. You will be fully covered when traveling anywhere in the U.S.
Will My Doctor Accept My Medicare Supplement?
The answer to this question is whether your doctor accepts Medicare. If a Doctor or Hospital accepts Medicare (your primary coverage), they will also take your Medicare Supplement, regardless of which company provides the coverage. If your doctor does not accept Medicare, which is rare, they will not accept your Medicare Supplement plan. Ninety-five percent of Doctors in the U.S. accept Medicare patients. What Doctors are interested in is if you have a Medicare Supplement that covers the 20% coinsurance that is left after Medicare pays.
Medicare Supplements do not have provider networks. The key thing to remember is when MEDICARE is your primary coverage (Medicare Part A and Part B), your Doctor or Hospital will always accept your Medicare Supplement regardless of which company sold you the policy.
Don’t Miss This Opportunity
The best time to enroll in a Medicare Supplement is during your Open Enrollment Period. When you first enroll in Medicare Part B at age 65 or older, you have six months to enroll in any Medicare Supplement without answering health questions. Your acceptance is guaranteed, and pre-existing health conditions receive full coverage immediately. When your Open Enrollment Period ends, you can apply for a Medicare Supplement later at any time, but you will have to answer all the health questions on the application. Your application may be declined if you have pre-existing health conditions the insurance company does not want to cover. You only have one opportunity to get a Medicare Supplement without answering health questions. This one-time offer is only good for six months from the time you activate your Part B of Medicare. Don’t miss this one opportunity to enroll in any Medicare Supplement Plan of your choice without having to answer health questions. Health conditions won’t matter then or in the future. Call me with any questions about Medicare and get expert advice and free quotes at no cost or obligation.